Flesh-eating bug sickness

4 minutes, 46 seconds Read

Miss Chatterton was eager to have her first child. Image source: BELLA PHOTOGRAPHY

A new mother has shared her story in the hopes of raising awareness about a flesh-eating disease that she nearly lost her life to.

Charleigh Chatterton, a 27-year-old financial administrator, delivered her daughter Alessia without incident.

However, just six days after giving birth, she was admitted to the hospital owing to a rash on her stomach.

Doctors diagnosed her with necrotizing fasciitis, a serious and potentially fatal flesh-eating illness. Her family was advised by doctors that her prospects of life were minimal.

Chatterton’s ailment was discovered in time, and she received appropriate medical attention.

The finance manager did not anticipate returning to the hospital so soon after giving birth. image source: CHARLEIGH CHATTERON

Charleigh Chatterton’s fiance, Liam Boyne, sought help from midwives at Colchester hospital after acquiring a rash that was described as being as hot to the touch as a boiled kettle, as well as severe flu-like symptoms.

Chatterton went to the hospital on their advise to be examined further.

Despite the fact that several testing originally revealed no abnormalities, Chatterton’s condition progressively deteriorated, and she found it increasingly difficult to remain aware.

Her health was rapidly deteriorating, resulting in an emergency situation.

Medical specialists feared Charleigh Chatterton had necrotising fasciitis after a scan revealed the existence of gas pockets beneath her tissue.

Recognizing the gravity of the situation, doctors determined that quick surgery was required to remove a considerable amount of dead tissue in order to prevent the flesh-eating germs from spreading further.

Chatterton was drugged for three days to aid her rehabilitation. When she awoke, she noticed two big wounds on her stomach that had been purposefully kept open for six days to aid in her body’s healing process.

A vacuum pump was eventually installed to aid with the healing and closure of the wounds.

In the hospital, Miss Chatterton and her newborn child were reunited. image source: CHARLEIGH CHATTERTON

What is necrotising fasciitis?

Necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease, is a severe and potentially life-threatening bacterial infection that affects the fascia, a layer of connective tissue surrounding muscles, blood vessels, and nerves.

It is characterized by rapid and progressive destruction of the soft tissues, including skin, muscle, and fat.

The infection typically begins when bacteria enter the body through a break in the skin, such as a cut, scrape, surgical incision, or even a minor injury.

Once inside, the bacteria multiply and release toxins that destroy the surrounding tissue. Common bacteria that can cause necrotizing fasciitis include Streptococcus pyogenes (group A streptococcus) and Staphylococcus aureus, although other types of bacteria can also be involved.

The symptoms of necrotizing fasciitis often develop quickly and may include severe pain or soreness at the site of the infection, swelling, redness, warmth, and a rapidly spreading area of discolored skin.

As the infection progresses, the affected area may become increasingly swollen, blistered, and filled with fluid or pus. Other symptoms may include fever, chills, fatigue, and general malaise.

Necrotizing fasciitis is a medical emergency that requires immediate treatment.

It is typically treated with a combination of aggressive surgical intervention, where the infected tissue is surgically removed (debridement), and intravenous antibiotics to control the infection.

In some cases, amputation of affected limbs may be necessary.

Early diagnosis and prompt treatment are crucial for improving the chances of survival and minimizing complications associated with necrotizing fasciitis.

However, despite aggressive treatment, the condition can still be life-threatening, and long-term complications can occur, such as extensive scarring, organ damage, or limb loss.

Although uncommon, necrotizing fasciitis is a medical and surgical emergency that affects 500 cases a year on average in the UK.

It can develop quickly and result in catastrophic issues like organ failure and blood poisoning (sepsis).

NHS/Royal College of Surgeons as a source

She was released from the hospital and reunited with her newborn child after a two-week stay.

“Physically, I’m recovering tremendously, but psychologically, I’m still having difficulties.

Despite having nerve damage and obvious scars, I feel myself to be extraordinarily lucky.

What matters most is that you’re here.

She stated that she wanted to spread awareness because necrotizing fasciitis is still uncommon and that early discovery might mean the difference between life and death.

She said, “I simply want to spread the message because it’s a condition that goes unnoticed, and timely diagnosis can save lives.”

Liam Boyne, Miss Chatteron’s fiancé, called the midwives at Colchester Hospital, who advised her to come in for a checkup. image source: CHARLEIGH CHATTERTON

In a heartbreaking event earlier this year, a 20-year-old Northampton amateur football player passed away from the illness.

Doctors had to amputate his limb in a last-ditch effort to preserve his life.

In a comparable event, Miss Chatterton, who had necrotizing fasciitis as well, learned confusing information from the doctors.

They thought it strange that the germs in her case had no obvious site of entry.

She gave birth naturally and didn’t have any obvious scrapes, grazes, insect bites, or fractures in her skin, but she still got the illness.

While Miss Chatterton was in the hospital, Baby Alessia was a dream and a wonderful little girl, according to her. image source: CHARLEIGH CHATTERTON

Martin Mansfield, the East Suffolk and North Essex Foundation Trust’s deputy chief medical officer, who is in charge of Colchester Hospital, expressed his happiness and relief at being able to help Charleigh and hearing about her successful recovery.

He stressed that necrotizing fasciitis is a bacterial infection that poses serious dangers and could be fatal if not caught in time.

He praised the hospital staff’s expertise and proficiency for their capacity to identify the infection’s symptoms and act quickly.

Their prompt response was crucial in Charleigh’s situation.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *